The Chinese University of Hong Kong
Li Ka Shing Institute of Health Sciences
Ref : 230001GY
Closing Date : June 6, 2023
The Biosafety Level III (BSL3) Laboratory at the Li Ka Shing Institute of Health Sciences is a highly specialised research laboratory that serves Principal Investigators' research needs working on infectious agents. It has special engineering and containment features that allow Principal Investigators to work safely with known or possible human pathogens classified as risk group 3 organisms or risk group 2 that require BSL3 practices. The facility consists of laboratory suites for in vitro experiments on risk group 2 or 3 agents / organisms, and animal laboratory suites for animal biosafety level III (ABSL3) experiments.
Applicants should have (i) a Master's degree in biological sciences related subjects, plus four years of post-qualification relevant work experience in a Biosafety Class 2 laboratory. Experience and training in Bio-safety Class 3 laboratory practice and/or handling small animals is preferred.
The appointee will work at the Prince of Wales Hospital in Shatin. Reporting to the Scientific Officer, the appointee will :
- work under the Institute's Director and the management team to oversee the daily operation of the core laboratory and communal facilities;
- assist in the management and maintenance of the Biosafety Class 3 laboratory;
- disinfect and autoclave infectious materials;
- provide assistance and support to user teams to perform experiments;
- manage booking, maintenance and housekeeping of the facility and its equipment;
- handle emergencies and spills;
- maintain inventory and perform stocktaking;
- perform procurement of consumables; and
- perform any other duties as assigned by the supervisor as appropriate.
Appointment will initially be made on contract basis for one year commencing as soon as possible, renewable subject to good performance and mutual agreement.
Application should be made online at http://career.cuhk.edu.hk