Executive Director (Legal Services)
Ref : CC/EDLS20210419
The Competition Commission (the Commission) is an independent statutory body established under the Competition Ordinance (Cap. 619) (the Ordinance) which was enacted in June 2012. The objective of the Ordinance is to prohibit conduct that prevents, restricts or distorts competition, and to prohibit mergers that substantially lessen competition in Hong Kong. The scope of the application of the merger rule is limited to carrier licences issued under the Telecommunications Ordinance (Cap. 106).
The Competition Commission is seeking interested applicants to join its professional teams for the above position.
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, the Executive Director (Legal Services) is part of the Commission's senior management team and will be responsible for leading the Legal Division of the Commission. The candidate is expected to -
- advise the Commission on contentious and non-contentious legal issues;
- take the lead in managing litigation arising from the Commission's actions under the Competition Ordinance;
- advise on the Commission's policy initiatives where appropriate;
- collaborate with external lawyers and experts engaged by the Commission and coordinate their work with the Legal Division; and
- lead and supervise the provision or the procurement of the full range of legal services necessary to support the activities of the Commission.
The successful candidate should -
- be a qualified solicitor or barrister with at least 12 years of post-qualification legal experience in Hong Kong or another jurisdiction with an adversarial system;
- possess extensive litigation experience in civil litigation, regulatory proceedings and/or administrative and public law;
- be experienced in managing a team of lawyers; and
- be knowledgeable about the Competition Ordinance, the Competition Guidelines and Policy Documents.
Proficiency in Chinese will be an advantage.
Terms of Appointment and Remuneration Package :
- Terms of Appointment : Appointment will be offered on a 3-year fixed-term contract basis.
- Basic Salary : The starting salary for this post is HK$169,705 per month. The basic salary offered will commensurate with the candidate's qualifications and experience.
- Cash Allowance : 18% of the basic salary
- Contract-end Gratuity : 15% of the basic salary (including 5% employer's contribution of MPF)
- Fringe Benefits : Annual leave, medical & dental benefits, life insurance and MPF.
Interested applicants should submit their applications at the Commission's Job Application System at https://www.compcomm.hk/en/about/career/current_vacancies.html
The closing date for application is 18 May 2021.
Where a large number of candidates meet the specified entry requirements, the recruiting section may devise shortlisting criteria to select the better qualified candidates for further processing. In these circumstances, only shortlisted candidates will be invited to attend an interview and/or recruitment test. Candidates who are selected for interview will normally receive an invitation in about six to eight weeks from the closing date.
All applications will be handled in strict confidence. Personal data collected from applicants will only be used for recruitment related purposes and will not be transferred to any third party. Personal data of unsuccessful applicants will be destroyed within 12 months of the recruitment process being completed by the appointment of a candidate for the relevant position.