A world-class horse racing operator. A top charitable organisation and Hong Kong's largest community contributor, donation HK$3.87 billion in 2014/15. A major taxpayer, Hong Kong's largest single by far, generation a record HK$20.05 billion in 2014/15 for public funds. A pioneer in technology application for sporting and betting enterainment, striving for the highest levels of customer service. A club recognised as one of Asia's most prestigious. This the TheHong Kong Jockey Club, a truly remarkable organisation offering you remarkable career opportunities with unparalleled prospects for future growth and development.
Ref : 20001238
Our Racing Laboratory Department in Sha Tin undertakes various types of research and testing on horses and riders to identify the use of prohibited substances or prohibited methods. It analyses over 20,000 official samples yearly from local and overseas authorities and plays an essential role in doping control to ensure the fairness and integrity of racing and other equine sports, and is a leading laboratory in the field of equine drug testing. The laboratory occupies about 2,300 sq m of floor area and is equipped with over HK$ 100 million worth of major facilities, including 41 state-of-the-art mass spectrometers that generate "chemical fingerprints" for substance identification.
We are looking for a seasoned life scientist with proven experience in the application of the OMICS tools to lead a team of up to eight members (all degree holders or above) working in the Molecular Biology Section of the Club's Racing Laboratory.
Reporting to the Head of Racing Laboratory, you will be responsible for the management and operations of the Molecular Biology Section, with key accountabilities including :
- planning, developing, organising and supervising research and development projects on the identification and validation of biomarkers based on the OMICS tools,
- maintaining a range of instruments and equipment worth about HK$ 20 million,
- training and developing staff with the appropriate expertise,
- leading a program of monitoring and quantifying various biomarkers in official samples collected from racehorses for the purpose of doping control,
- coordinating and managing joint biomarkers research projects between the Racing Laboratory and external departments or institutions,
- contributing to effective doping control and assisting the Racing Laboratory to review and formulate strategies to deter, prevent and control the use of prohibited substances or prohibited methods.
You should have :
- a doctorate degree in molecular biology, biochemistry or a related discipline,
- at least 5 years of proven experience in the application of the OMICS tools, particularly in transcriptomics, proteomics or metabolomics,
- a good working knowledge in next-generation sequencing, mass spectrometry, or other relevant techniques for the analysis of biological samples,
- excellent communication skills in English, and preferably in Chinese as well,
- good management and leadership skills,
- passion for teamwork and sharing of knowledge and skills,
- preferably experience in bioinformatics.
Terms of Employment
An attractive remuneration package for this full-time appointment will be offered commensurate with the candidate's qualifications and experience.
Closing date for applications is 20 June 2018. Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.
For further information about the position, please contact Dr Terence Wan or Dr Emmie Ho (email : Terence.firstname.lastname@example.org or Emmie.email@example.com ; telephone: +852 2966 6296 or +852 2966 6521)
How to apply
Please send your curriculum vitae complete with expected salary and job references to :
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Fax : +2966 6984
Human Resources Department
The Hong Kong Jockey Club
8/F Central Complex, Sha Tin Racecourse, Hong Kong
We are an equal opportunity employer.
Personal data collected will be used for recruitment purposes only.